Craz-tastic Adventures

Saturday, November 04, 2017

Newest obsession- girths/cinches!

My trainer recently told me to get a mohair girth because the one I have is a mohair blend and it doesn't perform the same as a pure mohair girth would. So I started thinking cheaply and thought, I bet I could make one for less? Though that might be right after awhile, it cost me much more at first because I made the loom first.

All wood and loom supplies were bought at Menards and all the mohair was bought from u-braidit.com, as were the instructions on how to make the girth/cinch. I also was referred by a friend to watch some YouTube videos to help, too.

Here they are, in order of production.


Here you can see the loom and the first girth I made with Abiquiu blue and natural colored rope. It's 48" and it looks incredible on my grey Arabian mare, Juliana.


This next girth is 46" because I thought it might fit Juliana a bit better than the 48". I ended up removing the natural colored outline around the half diamonds and I like it a lot better. This is made of sandstone and natural colored yarn/rope and the brown is sport weight alpaca yarn that I bought from a friend who raises alpacas. When I took home the yarn I realized it was way too fine so I used 2 strands of the 2ply (to ultimately make it 4ply) and I feel better about it. I made sure not to use it in areas where it needed to provide structure or support and instead used it for decorative accents.



This last girth is made with natural, royal blue and ristra red. I made this for one of my trainers as a thank you present. It was made to match her Arabian mare's blue and red bosal/mecate. It's a 32" cinch with a roller buckle on one end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home