Craz-tastic Adventures

Saturday, November 04, 2017

The Everlasting Project- the Island

As seen in a previous post, I started making a replacement island for the house in July 2014. That's really hard for me to admit because it was officially finished in February 2017! I started it and then found out I was pregnant, so the project started taking a lot longer to make then. The idea was to make something that could hold small appliances as well as house a larger beer fridge for eric and the boys. I made all the cabinets from scratch and used 3/4" plywood so as to not make it too heavy. Then I found some nice wood drawers at the restore for $5 each for the cabinet part, and I bought used cabinet doors for it, too. What helped make this project take so long were the cabinet doors. I started off making them only to be very disappointed with them they were going to be shaker style and I worked really hard on them, but they were ugly and very imperfect. So, I resorted to buying them and sized them down to fit. My aunt had told me about wood polish which I used in lieu of polyurethane. I thought I might make the counter top but then decided against it and bought a pre-fab butcher block countertop from menards.

Here are mid-way pics which include the shaker styled doors that I scrapped.






And here is the finished product (as you can see, the rest of the house was in shambles because we just had the addition put on and we were going to install the new carpeting next).






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home